1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here Comes Santa Claus....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevin & Kim, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Kevin & Kim

Kevin & Kim Member

Yep, it is that time of year again and every boy and girl has only one person in mind Santa Claus. Microsoft and Google understand this, so they have each dusted off the cobwebs from their Santa Claus tracking systems and relaunched them to the public once again.

Microsoft has teamed up with N.O.R.A.D (North American Aerospace Defense Command) to create this tracking system that can be access via the web at NORAD Santa Tracker. According to author Mike O'Brien from Search Engine Watch there have been a few upgrades to the site that are a must see.
    Google wont be left behind in this venture. Google has created its own Santa Tracking site for families to track Santa's progress around the world.
    I've viewed both these sites, and frankly, Microsoft's Santa Tracker is much better.

References:
    O'Brien, Mike. "Microsoft and Google Optimize Santa Tracker Websites for Mobile." Search Engine Watch. ClickZ, 4 Dec. 2014. Web. 4 Dec. 2014. <http://searchenginewatch.com/sew/ne...e-optimize-santa-tracker-websites-for-mobile>

"Official NORAD Santa Tracker." Official NORAD Santa Tracker. Web. 4 Dec. 2014. <http://www.noradsanta.org/>.

"Google Santa Tracker." Google Santa Tracker. Google. Web. 4 Dec. 2014. <https://santatracker.google.com/#village>.

2. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

I love it when they do stuff like this. When I was little, I loved Christmas. It was such an exciting time, and I probably believed in Santa Claus for longer than the average kid because my older brother told me one Christmas morning that he heard Santa on the Roof the night before.

3. ducklord

ducklord Member

@SillyBilly I'm on the opposite side, I think it's a waste of man time and resources tracking a non-existant being for nothing. And don't tell me "it's to give joy to the children" 'cause the children at ages that still believe in Santa Claus's existence wouldn't know what NORAD is or care for "official tracking of his way around the world", just of getting their gifts. :)

Yeah, I'm a sorrowful grumpy' ole realist :p

4. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Well, every government or world organization wastes a lot of funds and man power and doing the stupidest things, so at least with this, they are spreading a little joy for the little ones.

5. ducklord

ducklord Member

Well, yeah, but if you think that we're reading news about "NASA not having funds to do its thing" the rest of the year, "useful things NOT getting done" due to budgetary restrictions, and then we see news like this, "hey, we're wasting money for nothing to make people happy", it is a bit of a downer.

"Yeah, homeless people are dying on the streets, but look at the blips on the radar that show were Santa is!"... Thanks, but no thanks.

P.S.: I'm Greek. I shouldn't even care for "what happens elsewhere" and yet, I do. 'cause I'm also human and a citizen of the global country we call "the Internet" nowadays. People are dying and starving and celebrities and governments ALL around the world - not just the good 'ole US of A - spend money on things like that. Kim Kardashian throws tens of thousands of dollars to fix the nails of her poodles, money with which kids in Africa wouldn't starve to death for, I dunno, one whole year. NORAD tracking Santa ain't that bad, but it is the cherry on top of a very wasteful cake.

6. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Oh oh, did Santa miss your house last year? You sound bitter? :)

Money is wasted everywhere, I like the tradition.

7. Kevin & Kim

Kevin & Kim Member

Let me guess, you did not get the Galvatron you wanted for Christmas like you wanted??:p. Its for fun! If NORAD is able to take the time to do something fun like this, then things are OK. The day they can't... Houston we have a problem... head for the bomb shelters!:eek:

8. ducklord

ducklord Member

Heh, it's not a matter of me not getting what I want. Maybe being from Greece, and watching "the news about the whole world" from... er... "from here", instead of "from inside America", offers a different perspective. We're not watching jolly news here, we're constantly hearing about how we're on the verge of the worst economic collapse ever, while news from other countries reaching us show war, famine, mayhem, a bunch of shootings from "you there", yesterday's cancelling of "The Interview" from Sony due to terrorist threats...

And among all those dark, dark news, hearing about how NORAD is tracking Santa Claus. It's like the whole world is about to get squashed by Godzilla's foot, and instead of trying to do something about it, better allocating all our resources, working for a better common future, we're each other fighting for nothing, while some people who live in their own bubbled world are still looking for Santa.

Yeah, now that I read all this, I guess I am a bit miserable... :)

That was a smiley, though. It has to account for something... Nope?

:-D

9. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

It's far better than the 300% mark up that is spent on bombs and other destructive weapons.

10. Kevin & Kim

Kevin & Kim Member

Ah ha! My misguided friend... Sony IS releasing the Interview as planned!:D So get with the jingle list! If I can get jiggy with a Christmas jingle as bad off as my life is right now... then everyone can. By the way... I'm part of that economic collapse... I live in an RV with no power in winter with snow on the ground and can barely afford to eat everyday. I'm grateful though... at least I have my RV, there are some that are living in their tents. I was there too, but I am snail crawling my way up. So MERRY CHRISTMAS Mr. Scrooge! :p

11. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

I have a feeling that The Interview is going to be really bad, and because of all of this new publicity, millions of people are going to see it. I read today that Anonymous was going to release it, if Sony didn't bother to.

12. Kevin & Kim

Kevin & Kim Member

13. ducklord

ducklord Member

@Kevin & Kim Well, yeah, you're correct. I'm feeling bad after many-many strokes of bad luck, not realizing that I'm still in a better position than many-many others. My bad. And now, you've made me feel even badder about myself... Booooo-hooo... Daaaamn..! :-D

But, yeah, The Interview WAS released (Daaaaamn!), and, from what most people say, it WAS bad - as foretold (by our Grand Elders or something).

And a Happy New Year to you all. May it bring us better luck, money, fame and a position on the Iron Throne. Or maybe no, that one, nope, it's not a good career choice... :p

Draft saved Draft deleted